[Typo3-dev] What if I want to make changes to the extension?..

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Aug 15 21:14:25 CEST 2005

Hi Dmitry,

> I submited two patches for mininews extension and will submit more (see
> the tread about mysql() function). Unfortunately this extension is not
> actively developed futher, it even was not released for typo3 3.8.0.
> Thus people who want to use its TemplaVoila features have to take source
> from CVS, which is bad practice.
>
> I would be happy to start making changes to this extension. Surely I can
> just submit patch over path through Mantis but this is not going to work
> if noone commits them to CVS (sorry, Kasper, I know you are busy!). So,
> my questions is:
>
> Is it possible to share extension development between people?

In most cases it is, so yes. However there are some people who don't respond
to patch requests, don't want to accept a patch, etc.

In the case that an extension owner doesn't respond and probably doesn't
maintain the extension anymore, you can request to become the new owner of
this extension.

> If yes, how can I "join" development of mininews extension?

Visit http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/, search for your extension and
get in touch with its owner.

> I do not want a complete "take over", just want to help keeping this
> particular extension up-to-date and spend my "spare" time on typo3
> development.

Good strategy! I highly prefer joined forces on one extensions instead of
three extensions almost doing all the same.

I think most people are open for contributions, but they probably need some
time to merge them.

> I do not know to whom to talk (thus writing here) but if someone can
> give me any information, he can contact me directly.

See above. Hope that helps.

Regards, michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out