[Typo3-dev] Is cObj->DBgetInsert going to be obsolete?

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sun Aug 14 19:22:03 CEST 2005

Elmar Hinz schrieb:

> It is the question about best practice, about "the official" way to do
> FE-inserts. To find the approach that will still be supported in future
> releases of typo3.

I am in no position to answer this question. I guess it will stay in the
code, though it is a bit misplaced in terms of code encapsulation (a
content rendering class shouldn't contain DB write functions). But
anyway, as you say it's useful.

> The cObj->DBgetInsert function looks very usefull for inserts, because
> it regards the "system-fields" according to $TCA. What makes me wonder
> is, that this nice function is seldom recommended in docs and books. And
> that you find it not back in the FE function collection tslib_pibase,
> while you find severel queries.

tslib_pibase has specific support for listing data of a table. You named
the functions that do the job. tslib_pibase does not and IMHO should not
provide all possible functions in the FE *

Masi

* My opinion is that it has too many functions already. I prefer a
deeper class hierarchy, eg a real tslib_pibase base class, and eg a
child class for db listing.