[Typo3-dev] which XML-RPC lib to use

Ingo Renner typo3 at ingo-renner.com
Tue Apr 26 17:58:24 CEST 2005

Am Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:29:36 +0200 schrieb Karsten Dambekalns:

Hi Karsten and Sven,

>>> so at least in your opinion you think it's ok to use it as it is?
>>> Anyway I contacted the author and asked him whether he's willing to dual
>>> license it.
>
> Good move.

here's the reply from Keith:

-----
I'd rather not dual license my code. If your concern is violating *my*
rights, then you have no reason for concern. Please go ahead and use the
code. My license specifically allows combination and redistribution with
other code. The main thing that ever matters as far as I (and my
license) are concerned is that, when redistributed, my comment header is
kept intact and any modifications to my source are marked as such.

I *thought* your concern was that my license was GPL incompatible. I don't
think it is. I certainly wouldn't spend time worrying about it,
particularly since this wasn't the side of things you were concerned about
anyway.

I hope this note solves any license issues you had. Incidentally, it's odd
to me that while I tried to write the simplest and clearest license I
could, I still get people asking me for another, much more complicated
license (you're not the first). It's almost as if the language in the
license doesn't matter, but the fact that it's a "known" (by lawyers)
quantity. That seems backwards to me. Again, what I'm saying isn't really
directed towards you. It's just a little frustrating that while I took the
time to write a license that's super short and clear, the language in it is
treated almost as if it's irrelevant.

Keith

-----

so that means that he's not going to dual license his code but allows us to
use it. What does that mean for the extension as we still have the
restriction of GPL only code for the TER...

Anyway I contacted Simon Willison who implemented the IXR library [1]. It
is used in wordpress and I like it more anyway because it as easy to use as
Keith's implementation, better documented, fully object oriented and in
wordpress it is BSD licensed (originally Artistic). That makes me hope that
he's willing to give it to us as BSD licensed, too.

[1] http://scripts.incutio.com/xmlrpc/

greetings
Ingo

--