[Typo3-dev] TER and extension related questions

Kraft Bernhard kraftb at gmx.net
Mon Apr 25 16:28:52 CEST 2005

Hi Kari,

Kari Salovaara wrote:
> Hi friends,

Before first: This is not really dev related ... You should post such issues
to the english list pherhaps.

> I've had along time difficulties to upload or uograde extensions. Mainly
> the problems are only related in my time use.
> When connecting to repository it's not the main problem as it takes only
> about 15 secs to 3 mins. But to upgrade an extension fails about 90% of
> the trials - I get some half finalized page on which I normally could
> choose which version and where to upgrade. Also today it has been
> totally unpossible to do anything.
> And to get new extension takes first 2 minutes and then I get error
> message,
> Error: The datatransfer did not succeed...
> So my conclusion is that Typo3 cannot be used anymore into any
> productive work or maintaining sites which are under production ?
> I know that between 4-6 GMT in the morning there is a little easier but
> I cannot be awake all the nights as there is some duties also on daytime.

Ok.

We all know the TER is really slow during daytime but this will become better soon
when the TER get's mirrored to many other servers.
You should note that TYPO3 grew immenseliy during the last few months and many new
Typo3 Users/Administrators came up. As you can read on typo3.com there are actually
about 122.000 T3 installations and all those need to get updated from ONE SINGLE server.

But now don't come up: Hey, I could sponsor you a server. This was already discussed a
lot on the typo3org newsgroup and the main problem is not the hardware.

Just read the typo3org newsgroup on lists.netfielders.de

> Where do I know, can I use some extension, which is for 3.8.0-dev and
> php version 5.0.x, with Typo3 3.7.0. I have a vision somewhere in back
> of my head, that core or other extensions should not be done for beta
> versions or do I have to update my systems again. I've now Typo3 3.7.0,
> php 4.3.11, mysql 4.0.24, apache 2.0.53 and linux core 2.6.9-5, are
> these really too old ?

Our server runs apache 1.3 php 4.1.2 and mysql 3.23 .... and I run many widely used
T3 extension (tt_news, rtehtmlarea, chc_forum, etc ...)

So no need for the newest packages !!

You can just find out if an Extension which is written for 3.8 will also work in 3.7
by trying ... but most extensions won't fail.

greets,
Bernhard
--
Kraft Bernhard