[Typo3-dev] typo3.8.0beta2: Formmail and other charsets, i.e. utf-8

Ådne Hovda aadne at hovda.no
Fri Apr 22 11:13:16 CEST 2005

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> "Kraft Bernhard" <kraftb at gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>> I did not use metaCharset because I thought it would be wanted
>> somewhen/for some reason that the mail character set would be a
>> different than the site one ... but don't ask me if this ever
>> happens ...
>>
>> What do you mean by "the charset should be set according to the
>> current template" ???
>

> Yeah. The mailer is indepent of any front end rendering. It's up to
> the code invoking the mailer to setup the charset correctly.
>
> Don't make a t3lib-class access $GLOBALS[TSFE]!!!!
>
> Masi

That makes a lot of sense, of course.

So what should be done is to remove the hardcoded iso-8859-1 in
t3lib.htmlmail, and pass the charset as a part of the function call,
alternatively fall back on iso-8859-1.

After what I understand the mailer gets invoked by the function
sendFormmail() in class.tslib_fe. We should determine the correct
charset here, then. Similar for dmailer, but I don't know how.

Does this ruin backwards compatibility with extensions?

Ådne