[Typo3-dev] TER License Problem

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Tue Apr 19 20:37:03 CEST 2005

Alexander Langer schrieb:
> Michael Scharkow wrote:
>
>> That's got nothing to do with TER. An extension to TYPO3 is by
>> definition GPL
>
> By what definition?
>
> Definitely not the GPL definition, since an arbitrary extension
> does NOT have to be placed under the GPL.  "arbitrary" means it doesn't
> share any Typo3-code, e.g. isn't derived from anything the Kickstarter
> produced.
>
> Yes, Typo3 is covered by the GPL, but the GPL clearly reads "derived
> from", and extensions are NOT derived from Typo3 (i.e. they share code).
> I checked that twice last time this issue came up on the German Typo3-list.
>
> Extensions use Typo3 as a framework for execution, which can easily be
> replaced by third party software (if existent), e.g. Alex4, which might
> be commercially licensed and doesn't share any code with the original
> Typo3 codebase.  This is actually how and why BSD splitted from the
> original AT&T Unix distribution, but vice versa.
>
> Typo3 does nothing more than providing an API for the execution of those
> extensions, similar as e.g. PHP provides an API for the "script
> language" PHP, and PHP was long-time GPLed software.

Using an API makes a derived work. Your linking argument with the LGPL
is bogus. If a library (ie an API) is GPLed, any program that uses it
must be *compatible* to the GPL *)

So no, you cannot write an extension and licence it with an incompatible
licence.

As for HTMLarea, yes I'm also worried that we have a licence problem
here. But since it's this time the other way round (TYPO3 isn't hurt),
nobody cared til now.

Masi

*) BTW, Apache foundation says its new licence is compatible, FSF says
no. But whatever.