[Typo3-dev] DBAL question

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sun Apr 17 10:35:46 CEST 2005

Arne Skjaerholt schrieb:
>>PS: Wouldn't it be sufficient to replace the Mysql code in t3lib_db with
>>eg PostgreSQL code instead of going the ADOdb/DBAL-mapping way? The
>>mapping features etc are quite cool, but not really necessary for simple
>>  installations.
>
> Problem is, PgSQL and MySQL use somewhat different form of SQL. What may
> be a valid query in MySQL may, or may not, be a valid quert in PgSQL.
> This is one of the big reasons you don't just change what DB an
> application uses after a certain point. It just takes an awful lot time.

I know. I have used both Mysql and PostgreSQL. To name those two RDBMSs,
what does ADOdb/DBAL for me? Will it parse my Mysql statements and
change them to accomatde them for PostgreSQL? Or does it expect ANSI-SQL
  and what version?

It's important to know what kind of SQL-stamements I should write in my
extensions.

Masi