[Typo3-dev] Logging in TYPO3

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri Apr 1 12:31:24 CEST 2005

Hi Michael,

> FIY, you can cancel postings if you use the newsgroups, not sure whether
> this stops mailman from sending stuff out.

It won't.

>> - Frontend log: we have no real log for frontend plugins which could be
>> useful for tracing errors in TypoScript or plugins - but I can't come up
>> with a powerful idea for this which could be really useful (and it most
>> likely shouldn't go into the backend log!)
>
> Don't we have such things in the Admin Panel, or through the debug()
> statements?

Some of the messages (e.g. "template file not found") would also fit into
that system logger (which makes use of different priorities that can't be
filtered).

In any case it doesn't hurt if the logger is also used (unless it's disabled
in $TYPO3_CONF_VARS).

>> - t3lib_div::devLog() which was introduced during the development of
>> "realurl" extension, but I personally didn't use it since (rather like
>> debugging with debug() function....). The description of this function is
>> seen below [1]. Output from that log is handled by extension, an example
>> is "logit".
>
> I don't remember exactly what pros and cons there were to this, gotta
> read the thread from January again.

Can you please write a short sum-up for the rest? :-)

>> The motivation for writing is:
>> - For 3.9.0 I plan to work on the backend syslog
>> - ... and it has just been suggested to me to implement he feature for
>> unix systems that we can call the system logger to put TYPO3 messages
>> into eg. "/var/log/syslog" - whichi of course begs the question; What
>> messages from where makes sense...
>
> I think a plain text log file is a very good idea, since there are
> standard tools for analysis and the handling is much easier. I am not so
> sure about using syslog syscalls on Unix because a) it's probably
> slow(er), b) it's not portable and c) where would TYPO3 logs fit in the
> standard categories: mail, info, kernel, messages?
>
> Let's just log to a file with a standard format, just like samba,
> apache, younameit do it.

In fact, they _do_ use the system logger! Have a look at how syslogd can be
configured, and have a look at the logger manpage.

The feature is really great and so easy to implement that I see no reason
for not using it.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out