[Typo3-dev] Normalisation / OOP - a Case Study (ObTS)

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 12:27:45 CEST 2004

I really think that the best thing to do is make a "playground" in which
we say "how about normalising tt_content... let's try.

BUT: this is not another distro of TYPO3 - it is an experimental branch
which we use to get real evidence for improvements. I means that Kasper
can carry on as he is and we can muck around without hastling him.

Here is what I think the playground would be
- a branch containing high-risk, major changes some of which will make
it into the core, others won't
- maintained by developers who had want to prove their ideas
- not openly linked with the main branch (this would confuse people and
we would all get shouted at)

It will not be
- a branch
- a different CVS
- a chance to add functionality that can be added perfectly well in the
main branch

Every few months we could try to merge parts of the playground branch
with the main branch and make a "demo" version of Kasper et al to test
the changes.

The benefits are:
- It won't split the community because it will not EVER be for
production use
- It will allow us to get ready for the future

Anyone want to play?!