[Typo3-dev] Click menu / right click

Georg Kuehnberger georg_ml at kuehnberger.com
Sat Nov 27 01:18:43 CET 2004

Ahoi,
At 09:25 26.11.2004, Wolfgang Klinger wrote:
>  On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Martin T. Kutschker wrote the following:
> > Did nobody notice that Wolfgang ADDED an oncontextmenu handler? He
> > didn't remove the onclick handler, so the context menu will be available
> > on left AND right click.
>  Right. I wouldn't change the actual well-known behavior, but simply add
>  another one in favour of better usability (TYPO3 is all about
>  backwards-compatibility, you know*) ;-)

Some six moth ago we (me and Martin K.) played around with the right-click
context menu idea, as a client ( www.boku.ac.at ) pointed us into this
direction (part of the clients post-launch wishlist ;-)

Turned out that the current pattern of
         "left-click" on icon = context-menu
         "left-click" on text = details
was in so "stark" contrast to the
         "right-click" on icon or text = context-menu
         "left-click" on icon or text = details
that the client decided to stay with the classical version; though mainly
for the reason, that they already trained >= 50 editors on the classical
version.

The conclusion from our tests was:
         - "right-click" should be an option in the group-TS (default ON)
and user-setup (overriding the group TS).
         - the "right-click"-option should work like
                 - "right-click" on icon or  text >> context-menu
                 - "left-click" on icon or  text >> details
                 - the concept has to be consistent throughout all
occurrences (page-tree, fileadmin, list-view-icons ....)

Wrapping up:
         - the right click option makes most sense in case rightclick on
icon or text invokes the context-menu and left-click on either invokes the
detail-view.
         - it's hard to change for editors from the old version, especially
as the above concept also involves a two conceptual changes
(right-left  icon-text)
         - so it's best to use this concept for new sites + fresh editors

regard georg, eager to test it soon ;-)