[Typo3-dev] System Extensions, part II

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3.org
Thu Nov 18 04:30:37 CET 2004

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

> So here is the overview. From the next version of TYPO3 you will find
> these extensions in the sysext/ folder:

> version
Does the extension turn itself off if MySQL < 4.1.18 (?) found ?
This test would prevent errors if it becomes part of the standard
distribution.

> "System extensions" is a word for the extensions that are considered
> cornerstones in TYPO3 and the features of which are officially promoted
> as something the system includes.

 From my point of view, these could/should be promote to SysExt as well:

tt_news (this is a MUST for the "wholeness" of TYPO3)
skcalendar (if ready for general use)
taskcenter_recent (pretty useful)
sys_notepad (pretty useful)
sys_messages (pretty useful)
metatags (need more work but in my view part of a "good" CMS)

Another tricky part is the inclusion of a few new templates!

Stephane Schitter already turned the old ones into extension. See:
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/defaultstatic_tmpl/

Maybe some graphic designers could package a few light templates to
reach the "wholeness" wanted...

>       * Pkg (package): [new concept] For extensions that are not system
>         extensions anymore we thought it might make sense to define
>         packages of extensions for various purposes.

DAM and LDAP/Authentications Services are 2 set of extensions that I
feel should be put in a package... They are already split into multiple
extensions...

Also, From Kasper's list:

> awstats

This one needs Perl right ? If so I feel it strange it makes it a
SysExt... Nothing against Perl BTW!

Patrick