[Typo3-dev] any extension developers need html/css templating?

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2004 at typo3.com
Wed Nov 17 09:50:18 CET 2004

OT...

> It's hard to get thinking into CSS after abusing tables for so long.
> And I don't think I speak for myself that most coders are terrible in changing their way of thinking... 8-)

If the W3C really wanted to get rid of tables they should introduce the <grid> tag:

<grid border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1">
  <row>
    <cell width="33%">Value 1</cell>
    <cell width="33%">Value 2</cell>
    <cell width="33%">Value 3</cell>
  </row>
</grid>

Be honest everyone, the visual logic of the HTML-code of tables totally
beats the combination of <div> tags and CSS for positioning. Why not pay
respect to the people who have been used to the <table>-thinking for so
long and who have more important things to fill their brains with than
learning new basics of web-layout just for the sake of making it
differently.

My suggestion above solves the standard objections that "tables were
meant to present data, not layout" and screenreaders and Lynx will know
that the <grid> element should be interpreted differently.

- kasper