[Typo3-dev] Memory issues

Zach Davis zach at crito.org
Tue Nov 16 01:21:22 CET 2004

dan frost wrote:

>> The worst thing is that memory issues is the blackest hole for me
>> currently - a joker that pops up the box. I know there are debuging
>> tools but I don't want to spend time on debugging sessions right now.
>

> @whoever wants to know.
>
> On this note: i suggest xdebug. My use of this was:
> - compile into php (10mins)
> - reconfig apache.conf (1mins)
> - add xdebug...start/end to script (15mins inc hunting for the right bit)
>
> You can then output a nice table of what functions take what time.
>
> dan

Dan,

That's a great tool -- thanks for pointing it out. For anyone who ends
up using it, the combination of the following two methods seems like a
good place to start:

xdebug_start_profiling();

and

xdebug_dump_function_profile(3);

This will show you the average execution time and the count of executins
for every function that's called between starting the profiling and
dumping the data -- pretty useful. It looks like it can also return
memory usage information. Seems like a good tool; I'm hoping it will
help me optimize some code in chc_forum for the next release.

Zach