[Typo3-dev] the horror of different usertables

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Mon May 31 17:25:23 CEST 2004

Hi,

Daniel Hinderink [TYPO3] schrieb am 31.05.2004 um 16:12 Uhr CEST

[discussion of two different usertables]

We already know from previous discussions there are pros and
cons.

We know it would require real heavy arguments - which obviously are not
in sight - to change this fundamental decision, also there are quite
some scenarios where single usertables would make more sense.

Like has been pointed out there are ways to adopt it to each needs.

I can't see why y'll are striking elmars point of view so strong?

The argumentation might not have been academic correct but I do
understand the main ideas/problems and to me they are true.

Imagine you want to maintain certain user-related data:
Of course some of the users are active editors and login via BE, most
users are not editors however, so they just login via FE.

Now the editors have to login again for FE and we have to maintain some
redundant data. Afterall it is not that bad and a mater of a decision
for some specific system-design. But still it needs some explaination to
the users and has drawbacks.

Another problem is, that you can't easily add pages to a menu based on a
BE-Login, which is something very useful as well to me.

Have fun,
Peter
--
Peter Niederlag