[Typo3-dev] usernames lowercase, login case-sensitive => BAD

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.no5pam.Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Thu May 27 00:13:44 CEST 2004

Christian Zehaczek wrote:
> I thought about:
>
> - allowing for more fe_groups assignable to a page
> (already have an extension for this, but it needs some beautifying and 3.6.0
> compatibility)

I've heard somebody else was doing something like this.

> - optimizing table structures (don't need varchar(40) for md5 hashes).

tt_content (in comparison) is huge. Shortening a hash field won't be
much of a speed-up. If you do choose char() instead of varchar(). And
following the advice on mysql.com you'd have to move the column to the
very front (rule: start with fixed size columns). But I doubt it's woth
the hassle.

> - add some indicies to speed up common queries (eg. disabled, starttime,
> endtime). i will check my query log for this.
> (optimising indicies should be a high prio point for next releases,
> especially for pages/tt_content !).

Well, any real optimizin should go into the Core. Of course an extension
is a nice playing ground, but if it's a huge gain IIMHO it should be
integrated and your efforts should aim at that.

And could you give me an example for such an improved index? What
queries are you trying to optimize?

Masi