[Typo3-dev] new standard templates

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Thu May 20 16:35:57 CEST 2004

Hi people wanting better entry-level TYPO3.

I fully agree with you all! One reason other simpler cms products often
have more appeal than TYPO3 seems to be that they are so easy to design
with (while of course it very limited what they can do). I always wanted
this to change and I imagined a hardcore group of people who would
basically take the concept of standard templates, make some really
really cool ones, including easy interfaces for all the most necessary
stuff and distribute this as a package like the testsite/quickstart etc.
It would be *wonderful!*.
Personally my calling is to produce and maintain all the annoying small
features and technical difficulties which you have this love/hate
relationship to, so I'm not qualifying as a participant on that team :-)
But that is why I'm so happy to see you discuss this because often some
of us "elders" are so focused on enterprise features etc. that we might
easily forget the large userbase of smaller needs - something *you*
could radically change if you really go through with such a project.

Some comments:
- Rene Fritz once introduced an examples of standard templates
distributed as extensions (tmpl_green or something)
- I'm currently planning to move the current 11 standard templates into
a new extension which will contain all the "old" CMS stuff in TYPO3; I
believe in the biblical principle that you should pour new wine on new
leather bags - so lets not try to fix the old stuff, rahter leave it be
(still working of course) but create something brand new and up-to-date!

Good luck!

- kasper