[Typo3-dev] You are the Programmer - System extensions

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Thu May 13 23:43:51 CEST 2004

Hi Patrick.

thanks for being with us so eagerly!

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 21:59, Patrick Gaumond wrote:
> My toughts about System Extensions (SE)
>
> SE rules! It gives to the whole project a feeling of "completeness". It
> always bother me that only core work would increase release numbers but with
> the new concept of SE, I get the impression that TYPO3 will be more
> attractive from a marketing point of view.
>
> I'm with Kasper on all Inlcude/Enable choice already made except for "Meta
> tags extended" that should be a SE.

I didn't exclude it because it is not important. Mostly because it is
simplistic and in a few days someone could make something much better -
and we would have another honoured member of the core them then... :-)

> The DEV package looks like a bunch of SE to me maybe because we're so use to
> have the TS Object Browser at hand...

Also a kind of statement from Robert, Julle and I (we made the
selections together): Strictly, these would not be needed on a
production server for instance. Or they might not be central if a new
"cms2" extension came around offering an alternative frontend engine one
day. Further, there is a LOT to clean up codewise in the Template tools;
They work stable but the source is NOT commented and there is a lot of
it! (and SE has to respect the CGL).

> That raise the question on how the package will be managed ? Are we going to
> have the possibility to get the DEV package in a single transfer ?

That was the idea, but... the idea of packages is currently just a
sketchy concept which you still have to chance to shape. So cast your
visions, if any...

> Are packages going to be treated with the same care as the SE ?

No.
We are strict on the SE.
Things in packages is another game.

> Are we aiming at having other theme packages like a PORTAL package ? Six
> months ago lots of people ask for pseudo *Nuke functionality.

Not as a part of the SE discussion. But obviously it still sounds like a
good project for a "package" (collection of extensions to go with the
core) or "distribution" (collrection of extensions set up in a running
website with dummy database)

> As for the popular or so useful that they should be declare SE I can think
> of :
>
> CleanDB : to really delete marked records, maybe should be integrated into
> DBint and be DBAL aware ?

This will soon be in DBint. This is definitely something belonging to an
official core extension.

> Page PHP Content
> (http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/list/page_php_content/) can be a
> real timesaver. Maybe dangerous?

Yes, no cohiba to that (by definition I mean...:-)
BUT - I just realize that my little PHP-parser born in Amsterdam might
be a great "validator" for such an extension. However very rough work
yet... (see thread about template engines)

> Meta tags extended :  Already mentioned, should be a SE.

I would prefer a new one - or this one renewed if someone thinks that is
better. (keeping backwards compatibility)

> And well... "Old school CMS" is quite a negative name for a package.  ; )

I wouldn't take offense. The point was to use such a package for
outphasing all the more and more obsolete concepts of CMS in TYPO3
*WITHOUT* loosing them totally; I have a lot of respect for backwards
compatibility and I want to go a long way to make future versions of
TYPO# compatible with old-style websites. But isolating obsolete
functionality in extensions is no bad way to send a signal while
respecting backwards...