[Typo3-dev] Alternative lanuage labels management

Thu May 13 17:03:22 CEST 2004

Hello Typo3Developers!

I am writing my Diploma in Brasil about setting up multilingual Portals
for the threshold <http://dict.leo.org/?p=2Ib6..&search=threshold>
country <http://dict.leo.org/?p=2Ib6..&search=country> sector using Typo3.
I was facing a problem with the languagekeys "pt" for portuguese and
"br" for brasilien portuguese. In the extension "indexed_search" for
example there is a translation for brasilian portuguese and not for
portuguese. In the extension "newloginbox" there is a translation for
portuguese and not for brasilian portuguese.

Because brasilian portuguese and portuguese are very similar, its useful
tu substitute the Labels not with the default-lanuguage but rarther with
"the other portuguese"
I solved this problem with a quick hack in /tslib/class.tslib_pibase.php
in the Method pi_getLL():

elseif (isset($this -> LOCAL_LANG['pt'][$key]) & !$this ->
LOCAL_LANG['br'][$key]) {
$word = $this -> LOCAL_LANG['pt'][$key];
}
elseif (isset($this -> LOCAL_LANG['br'][$key]) & !$this ->
LOCAL_LANG['pt'][$key]) {
$word = $this -> LOCAL_LANG['br'][$key];
}

I was wondering if it might be useful to implement a Alternative
languages labels List management in Typo3 so that you can make a list of
alternative language labels wicht should be checked befor using the
default language. I you find it useful, I would like to implement it for
typo3.

Let me know your suggestions.

Greetings frrom Brasil
Romeo Kienzler