[Typo3-dev] Alternative lanuage labels management

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.no5pam.Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Thu May 13 17:55:29 CEST 2004

Romeo Kienzler wrote:
> Hello Typo3Developers!
>
> I am writing my Diploma in Brasil about setting up multilingual Portals
> for the threshold <http://dict.leo.org/?p=2Ib6..&search=threshold>
> country <http://dict.leo.org/?p=2Ib6..&search=country> sector using Typo3.
> I was facing a problem with the languagekeys "pt" for portuguese and
> "br" for brasilien portuguese. In the extension "indexed_search" for
> example there is a translation for brasilian portuguese and not for
> portuguese. In the extension "newloginbox" there is a translation for
> portuguese and not for brasilian portuguese.
>
> Because brasilian portuguese and portuguese are very similar, its useful
> tu substitute the Labels not with the default-lanuguage but rarther with
> "the other portuguese"

I always wondered why Brazilian Portuguese was setup this way.

> I was wondering if it might be useful to implement a Alternative
> languages labels List management in Typo3 so that you can make a list of
> alternative language labels wicht should be checked befor using the
> default language. I you find it useful, I would like to implement it for
> typo3.

IMHO it should work like the ISO mechanism. In the ISO notation you have
   "pt" and its variants (eg "pt-BR"). I suggest that some languages are
mapped as varaiants of others. I think that it's sufficient to use one
"master language" for any number of variants.

$lv = array(
	'br' => 'pt',
);

// something like that
// (assumes master and variant have the same charset!)
} elseif (isset($this->LOCAL_LANG['default'][$lang_var[$key]]))    {
   $word = $GLOBALS['TSFE']->csConv(
		$this->LOCAL_LANG[$this->LLkey][$lv[key]]
	);
}

Masi