[Typo3-dev] xhtml, xml prologue

Gordon Mickel g.mickel at mkb.net
Sun Mar 28 19:19:44 CEST 2004

Hi Wolfgang

I started a discussion about this about a month ago in the dev newslist:

http://typo3.org/1427+M5feee937f3b.0.html?&tx_maillisttofaq_pi1[pointer]=3

I also stated that the prologue causes problems and that the switching
of prologue and doctype seems to be a strange solution as the prologue
should only be the first element of the document, ie. the option should
be to leave it out completely.

I'm not sure if one of the development team saw the thread or not.

Cheers
Gordon

Wolfgang Klinger wrote:

>  *hiya!*
>
> ---
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="XXX"?>
> <DOCTYPE...>
> ---
>
>  This so called xml prologue causes problems in certain browsers
>  (e.g. IE 6).
>
>  The solution for this in 3.6 seems to be to swap the <?xml stuff for
>  the doctype, what's rather odd.
>
>  The following is stated in the XHTML definition
>  (see: http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#normative)
> ---
> Such a declaration is required when the character encoding of the
> document is other than the default UTF-8 or UTF-16 and no encoding was
> determined by a higher-level protocol.
> ---
>
>  So my suggestion is to skip the xml prologue (if not explicitly
>  claimed) and use this "higher-level protocol" (= http) to set the
>  appropriate character encoding, either through PHP with
> ---
> header ('Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1');
> ---
>  and/or by the following settings in a local .htaccess file
> ---
> AddType 'text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1' html
> ---
>

>  bye
>  Wolfgang

Gordon Mickel
Development & Consulting
--
Our latest work:

http://www.abilita.ch
http://www.emmi-fondue.ch
http://www.business-it.ch/shop/
--
Mickel, Kool & Borter GmbH - Grosspeterstrasse 18/20 - CH-4052 Basel
http://www.mkb.net - g.mickel at mkb.net