[Typo3-dev] translations, utf-8

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Sat Mar 27 17:01:05 CET 2004

The translation system is under full control and for the size of files
there are now support for single files per language, see eg.
"lang/locallang_core.*" files. This is all documented in a non-released
version of "Inside TYPO3".

There will be no changes made to this system within a short time at all.
It seems like you are translating the WRONG way. You should translate
through the framework on TYPo3.org - then you wouldn't mind the mixed
charsets in files.

- kasper

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 18:44, Sandis Jerics wrote:
> Hello people!
>
> Not sure if i'm posting to the correct list. There are some questions about
> translations.
>
> Some time ago i managed to translate almost all core and main extensions into
> latvian, it were used only internally, never released to public. I wanted to
> submit, but just forgot. Until RC2 appeared, it remembered me of this undone
> thing. Now it's more likely will require to do diff on every file, to see if
> there new labels were added.
>
> There are some technical questions:
>
> Those huge (potentially ever growing) files with $LOCAL_LANG arrays, is it a
> good way to organize a translation system? For my internal use, I just
> deleted all language sections I do not need, and added mine here (copied
> "default"), then saved it with utf-8 encoding. But I went wrong with it: new
> wersion appeared -> need to do all editing by hand again.. It was just a
> quick dirt solution for the moment, because there are many different charsets
> messed in one file, when i tried to edit and save it as utf-8, the string
> delimiting single quotes somwhere just disappeared, obviously leading to php
> parse errors.
>
> In manual, there are some strange words about folders, which does not exist:
> # Make a copy of another language folder from "typo3/sysext/lang/" and name it
> # like your language, eg. "se"
> Maybe its a future better way to organize translations? Ideally, it should be
> this way. Or even extensions. So one could add/remove them easily.
>
> How to do it now? I suppose, i will open (in Kate or KWrite) both the original
> file (wich in fact is a mess of different charsets) and my translated part
> (which is utf-8), - both in iso-8859-1 (strange chars will appear, but the
> quotes and other translations will be preserved from damage, i hope), paste
> my section here, save it. Is it ok to do like this?
>
> I saw there are some language-extensions, but all that strings are not there,
> thay seem to be for some different purpose (time/date/locale stuff?)
>
> Sorry if i maybe just misunderstood something hardly, i am just a newbie to
> the typo3. Just wanted to get past the things that has been done once.
>
> Regards,
> Sandis

Best regards

- kasper