[Typo3-dev] translations, utf-8

Sandis Jerics sandisj at parks.lv
Sat Mar 27 18:44:52 CET 2004

Hello people!

Not sure if i'm posting to the correct list. There are some questions about
translations.

Some time ago i managed to translate almost all core and main extensions into
latvian, it were used only internally, never released to public. I wanted to
submit, but just forgot. Until RC2 appeared, it remembered me of this undone
thing. Now it's more likely will require to do diff on every file, to see if
there new labels were added.

There are some technical questions:

Those huge (potentially ever growing) files with $LOCAL_LANG arrays, is it a
good way to organize a translation system? For my internal use, I just
deleted all language sections I do not need, and added mine here (copied
"default"), then saved it with utf-8 encoding. But I went wrong with it: new
wersion appeared -> need to do all editing by hand again.. It was just a
quick dirt solution for the moment, because there are many different charsets
messed in one file, when i tried to edit and save it as utf-8, the string
delimiting single quotes somwhere just disappeared, obviously leading to php
parse errors.

In manual, there are some strange words about folders, which does not exist:
# Make a copy of another language folder from "typo3/sysext/lang/" and name it
# like your language, eg. "se"
Maybe its a future better way to organize translations? Ideally, it should be
this way. Or even extensions. So one could add/remove them easily.

How to do it now? I suppose, i will open (in Kate or KWrite) both the original
file (wich in fact is a mess of different charsets) and my translated part
(which is utf-8), - both in iso-8859-1 (strange chars will appear, but the
quotes and other translations will be preserved from damage, i hope), paste
my section here, save it. Is it ok to do like this?

I saw there are some language-extensions, but all that strings are not there,
thay seem to be for some different purpose (time/date/locale stuff?)

Sorry if i maybe just misunderstood something hardly, i am just a newbie to
the typo3. Just wanted to get past the things that has been done once.

Regards,
Sandis