[Typo3-dev] extensions with binaries

Jens Ellerbrock je at hades.org
Fri Mar 26 00:31:07 CET 2004

Michael Stucki wrote:

> No, cause I expect that the admin installs the required binaries and
> makes them available using the safe_mode_exec_dir option. But this
> has to be done _outside_ of TYPO3 and its extensions.

as long as you get your admin to install additional binaries...

>> Anyway, i will try to build an extension for htmldoc on linux and
>> put it not on TER but on my website. I am also interested whether
>> there's any interest in it...
>
> Please don't do that.
> Creating OS depending extensions is a bad idea - believe me... :-)

generally i agree, but i see them less as extension than as a simple way to
install additional functionality on your server via the mechanisms of the
extension manager.
I have built a htmldoc_linux package (more as a proof-of-concept for myself)
but due to the opinions expressed so far i will not release it to the public
until further discussion. If anyone is still interested i will send it out
via email (about 1 MB).

Jens