[Typo3-dev] extensions with binaries

Jens Ellerbrock je at hades.org
Thu Mar 25 23:03:41 CET 2004

Michael Stucki wrote:
> Bad idea. Would be the same if TYPO3 shipped ImageMagick.
> This will only bring up new problems with users with activated
> safe_mode.

Well, they will have these problems anyway....

> Why don't you put them on a website and add some links to the manual
> for the extension?

Yes i wil do that, an will see whether there's interest for them.

>> - it's easier for the user
>
> I don't think so. See my suggestion above, _this_ is what I think to
> be easy. Just like the ImageMagick binaries you have created for us.

Well it is easier, especially in the case of htmldoc where you need a whole
directory structure. I agree that you can achieve the same with a tgz that
the user has to unzip and upload, but i think it is easier to do this using
the install mechanism of the TER.

> Besides, imagine someone else would create another, similar,
> extension and include the same binaries. Better don't do so...

Well, i was thinking of an extension that only contained the binary, i.e.
htmldoc_linux, htmldoc_windows, htmldoc_... and could be installed
independently of the extension that uses the binary.

>> - potential security risk (IMHO not much worse than the one we
>> allready have)
>
> Admins increase their security by activating the safe_mode in PHP. No
> chance for included binaries in this case...

then you have a problem anyway if you have a shared server....

Anyway, i will try to build an extension for htmldoc on linux and put it not
on TER but on my website. I am also interested whether there's any interest
in it...

Jens