[Typo3-dev] extensions with binaries

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Thu Mar 25 18:13:29 CET 2004

Hi Jens,

> What do you think  about binaries in extensions?
> In my case I was thinking specifically about my pdf_generator and the
> needed open sourcve program htmldoc.

Bad idea. Would be the same if TYPO3 shipped ImageMagick.
This will only bring up new problems with users with activated safe_mode.

> Since some people did experience some problems compiling it, i thought
> about creating one extension that contains a statically compiled version
> for linux, one for windows (and maybe someone else could provide one for
> FreeBSD).

Why don't you put them on a website and add some links to the manual for the
extension?

> Pro:
> - it's easier for the user

I don't think so. See my suggestion above, _this_ is what I think to be
easy. Just like the ImageMagick binaries you have created for us.

> Con:
> - quite large extensions have to be managed (webspace / traffic)

Besides, imagine someone else would create another, similar, extension and
include the same binaries. Better don't do so...

> - potential security risk (IMHO not much worse than the one we allready
> have)

Admins increase their security by activating the safe_mode in PHP. No chance
for included binaries in this case...

Cheers - michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html