[Typo3-dev] Utf8 problems

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Thu Mar 25 09:28:30 CET 2004

We know about this problem and did so all the way. WE just didn't solev
it since it mostly concerns visual representation in the browser and not
the data integrity. We still intend to solve it but we have to do it
right or not at all in my opinion and therefore it is subject to
priorities of everything.

BTW; the far greater problem is that content stored in the database
might be corrupted. For instnace if a 100 char string (in utf-8, say it
will be 163 bytes) stored in a varchar(100) will... be cropped! I don't
know if MySQL 4 has a solution for this or what. In any case TYPO3 will
issue a warning if cropping occurs right after saving the contnet...

- kasper

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 00:41, Ludwik Górski wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm using forceCharset (told this more than once here ;). I like and
> appreciate this feature, but it has some drawbacks. The most visible is
> that where Typo3 is cropping text and there is a special sign on the end
> of the cropped string it may be changed to some other 2-byte char by
> accident. IE Polish s with accent when cropped in the middle and
> followed by a dot (common case when cropping text) is changed to big U
> with a circle on the top. Is there any standard php method to control
> 2-byte strings, or is it possible to implement it in a reasonably short
> time? I'm thinkign about at least changing the TS crop function to check
> for 2-byte chars. What do you think about it? Maybe someone did
> something like this?
> What is more, I know that for Russian text, all letters are two-byte. So
> the cropped text is 2 times shorter...
>
> Ludwik

Best regards

- kasper