[Typo3-dev] Utf8 problems

Ludwik Górski ludwik at iceage.pl
Thu Mar 25 00:41:13 CET 2004

Hello

I'm using forceCharset (told this more than once here ;). I like and
appreciate this feature, but it has some drawbacks. The most visible is
that where Typo3 is cropping text and there is a special sign on the end
of the cropped string it may be changed to some other 2-byte char by
accident. IE Polish s with accent when cropped in the middle and
followed by a dot (common case when cropping text) is changed to big U
with a circle on the top. Is there any standard php method to control
2-byte strings, or is it possible to implement it in a reasonably short
time? I'm thinkign about at least changing the TS crop function to check
for 2-byte chars. What do you think about it? Maybe someone did
something like this?
What is more, I know that for Russian text, all letters are two-byte. So
the cropped text is 2 times shorter...

Ludwik