[Typo3-dev] Improvement of function validEmail($email)

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Tue Mar 9 10:03:07 CET 2004

Hi Martin,

> As far as I have understood, those funky umlauts in domain names are not
> meant to work with smtp/mx-records.

As far as I do understand, umlaut domains only exist on the very client side
of a communication. This means that the mail client would have to translate
the domain name part of an email address to the IDN scheme.

I suggest that we add a little wrapper which does this job for mails sent by
TYPO3.

See this interesting thread (unfortunately in German only) about IDN in mail
addresses:
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=c1pgov.1ds.1@ich.michaelhermes.de

Don't forget that umlauts in the localpart of an address have ever been
valid!

> <rant>
> Kinda stupid idea of some marketing assholes. If they really wanted i18n
> they'd used Unicode instead of this ridiculous scheme which adds only a
> meager 100 or so characters.
> </rant>

I don't like the IDN scheme but I wouldn't like any other i18n method for
domain names as well! It's nothing but an easy way for drifting a few more
pence.

<stucki rant>
I'm looking forward to the day "they" announce case sensitive domain names.
It's so innovative, isn't it?!
</stucki rant>

Regards
- michael