[Typo3-dev] DBAL: Call for sponsors

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Fri Mar 5 21:39:42 CET 2004

> > My proposal is:
> > - For TYPO3 3.6.0: Add the class "t3lib_db" in TYPO3 3.6.0, containing
> > simple wrapper functions (necessary for DBAL efforts after 3.6.0) plus
> > security-enhancing query building functions. Do the search/replace.
> > - For TYPO3 3.7.0: a group will work on DBAL implementations taking
> > offset in the wrapper functions from 3.6.0. You are right that this will
> > take a LOONG time and require a lot of test and basically be marked
> > "unstable"
>
> Sounds good to me.
>
> May I ask if there will be another RC before anything will be done in
> that direction? A RC2 won't hurt, the lightweight DBAL deserves it's own
> RC anyway.

Not sure.

Currently I plan to work on this next week and on next friday we might
see a CVS update.

BUT I do plan a RC3 - mostly because it becomes more and more apparent
that I have to take a week to update stuff in the Extension Manager
before 3.6.0 comes anyways... (for instance that Extensions can be
depending on a specific TYPO3 version...! I'm sick of those mails about
"newloginbox" and soon that will be the same for any other!)

> > As I see this it perfectly matches your arguments about "waiting for
> > 3.7.0" but with the little twist that it really DOES reflect back on
> > 3.6.0 as Daniel has so argued. The result: We are not talking about a
> > complete DBAL implementation for TYPO3 3.6.0 release; only that initial
> > work has been done so the DBAL workgroup can proceed - BUT we still want
> > to take the opportunity to raise money for this!
>
> Thing are clear now. Sorry for kind of panicking.

Thanks, I wasn't that happy about all this either!