[Typo3-dev] DBAL: Call for sponsors

Daniel Hinderink [TYPO3] daniel at typo3.com
Wed Mar 3 17:52:51 CET 2004

Hi Masi,

> Daniel Hinderink [TYPO3] wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> As it turns out, the time is just about right for getting DBAL done.
>> In fact there will be no 3.6.0 anywhere soon if we don't get the sponsoring
>> together NOW because the ground work will need to be done for many features
>> in demand.
>
> Why is 3.6 coupled with DBAL?

Well, since centralising all database queries will change a very large part
of the core, it does not make sense to postpone this, becaue the task will
just get bigger all the time.
Some things, like the very pressing work at versioning make no sense at all
without doing DBAL first.

> The code as it is looks nice and ready for live systems *). DBAL will
> destabilize the code and will further the delay of 3.6 for a very long
> time. My guess would be sometime in autumn.

What makes you think it will?

> Don't get me wrong. I think that DBAL is a good thing. But I'd postpone
> it to 3.7, or as it will probably break all extensions even 4.0 (though
> there's no need for a 3.7, 3.8 and 3.8 at all).

No, it does not have any influence on backwards compatibility. Existing
Extensions will simply not work with _other_ databases then MySQL.

> I'd hoped we see 3.6 get all those new exciting extensions up and
> running (objTS, enhanced aliases, ...) and then moved on to a 4.0 with
> DBAL and an integrated objTS (dropping tslib_content).

I understand your fears, but we have very good reasons to believe, that it
will be finished in time and in very good quality.

Cheers

Daniel