[Typo3-dev] Re: OT: RealUrl importance?

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Thu Jun 17 21:43:45 CEST 2004

My 2cents:

Believe or not but I'm also using TYPO3.org for manuals (hence my email
footer... :-) and realurls has become very convenient because when you
type in "http://typo3.org/docum...." it automatically suggests the URL
all the way forth to
"http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_api/" and I'm
there in one ... well, not even a "click"! This is pretty cool and saves
me loads of time.
So apart from all the technical goodies of realurls they are not so much
about remembering the *exact* URL and typing it in (for me) but simply
makes previously visited URLs very easy to find again!

Technically:
The problems you are all talking about with links that does not work,
MSIE that is a problem etc. is actually NOT the fault of realurls!
The real problem is this:

With realurls, we set "<base href="....">" in the header of all pages.
This means that all relative links are relative to the base url and
therefore they work out-of-the-box. This goes for all browsers
apparently.
However when *MSIE* sets from JavaScript a "document.location=" then a
relative url-value there will NOT pick up the base URL from the base-tag
contrary to what mozilla, opera and konqueror correctly does.
The only solution here is to ask the link generation function to prefix
all links with absolute url (basically the value of the <base> tag) OR
ask all extension developers having "onchange" handlers setting
"document.location" to prefix with a URL.

I will soon update the plugins on typo3.org to prefix the absolute URL
for all extensions using javascript to set the URL. I will also document
this for the extension soon.

Finally, I agree with Robert that the testing on MSIE could easily be
the responsibility of all the 90% using MSIE. I don't have time to test
anything but the browsers that comes along with Linux which I'm now
using (thanks to Mozilla Firefox!) and in fact I feel pretty good that
we primarily supports and tests browsers that are standards compliant.
We are not against MSIE but we don't think highly about them just
because they have all the market. Firefox is 100% up to the job today
and someone has to change browser before the percentages drop. If TYPO3
didn't support Firefox and all the others 100% we would effectively be
helping MSIE to keep their market share up!

Only dead fish floats with the stream. It takes some more effort to swin
against it but you feel much better!

- kasper
"Waiting for typo3.org..."