[Typo3-dev] Re: OT: RealUrl importance?

Jan Bruvoll jan at brvl.com
Wed Jun 16 16:34:42 CEST 2004

Karsten Dambekalns wrote:

>>It is important because <your site>/sports/ means something to users,
>><your site>/483.6.html does not.
>>

>Yes, but what is wrong about
> <your site>/sports.html
>or (depending on the setup)
> <your site>/Sports.0.html
>
>Well, it's probably a philosophical thing... :)

Hmm - maybe for small sites, but for larger sites you're digging
yourself a big hole if you expect users to remember -anything- exact. To
build further on the sports idea - think about
/sports/football/premier_league contra
/sports_football_premier_league.html or for that sake again the dreaded
/123.0.html. People tend not to remember numbers, however they can very
well remember things that they relate to in real life. They can also
barely remember to put slashes between words, but don't expect them to
remember your particular concoction of underscores, hyphens and version
numbers. It's all about usability - from a technical standpoint I don't
care so much (actually I do - looking up URLs and matching them
internally eats resources unecessarily - but hey, are we there for the
computers' sake or the other way around? Iron is cheap.)

Jan