[Typo3-dev] TYPO3 "extendability" - BE - templates

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 01:22:18 CEST 2004

I know this question was for kasper, but...

Zorik Pavlenko wrote:
>>It is not urgent and we have no plans or reasons for going into this.
>

> dont you think it will be easier and faster to develop extensions with this
> framework?
Yes - but it's a matter of importance. Backend stuff is less prone to -
for example - law (WAI / accessibility legislation), so there is less
impulse and thus less money/effort to do it.

But, ...

> in a long run, it will separate design from scripts and will provide one
> step further to structured data output, which in turn will provide ability
> to interface with other applications.

Yep - completely agree. In answer to another email in this thread: ObTS
is an object oriented version of TypoScript which separates things as
they should be. It does for the front-end what you want to do with the
back.

Object TypoScript took at least 2 months of solid working out to get to
even a remotely useful framework. The effort is worth it (check out the
latest release - we're almost stable)

> my point of view has not changed on architecture - interface, separate from
> core, separate from labels... :)

Yes. Good practice is good! But, as someone who has made a similar point
to the community: show us the best way. The best form of encouragement
(certainly in the TYPO3 community) seems to be to give a proof of
concept and then look around for people willing to help prove it.

Actually, this is something i've been thinking about - how about Object

In terms of development, I am willing, as head of architecture, to help
anyone interested in developing this idea as a long term project. I
think that the best first step is to brainstorm/braindump on the ways to
solve the problem. As with the DBAL perhaps (i) an exiting project will
help lead the way, and (ii) toying with ideas for a while will find
someone willing to fund most of it...

Let me know your thoughts

Regards,
dan