[Typo3-dev] TYPO3 "extendability" - BE - templates

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Fri Jun 11 00:21:47 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 21:53, Zorik Pavlenko wrote:
> > It is not urgent and we have no plans or reasons for going into this.
>
> dont you think it will be easier and faster to develop extensions with this
> framework?

Not for me. I don't know why.

> in a long run, it will separate design from scripts and will provide one
> step further to structured data output, which in turn will provide ability
> to interface with other applications.

Ah, maybe a little to much to promise from this. Remember, we are
talking about the backend *interface* not data exchange. Actually the
MAIN deal in the backend that I require from good extensions is that
they use the stylesheet of the backend, the general classes found in
there (like "bgColor2"...) and the "template.php" class for starting
pages, outputting sections on a page and ending pages.

Everything in between that is just XHTML and I don't think that all
needs of module designers can so easily be capture in an API. I once
tried to start such an idea wit hthe table-generating function in the
template class, but as you can see I have used it just a few places in
the source since it was not really flexible and easy to use and actually
made implementations much more work to do. So in  real life the easy way
is to just make the table by hand. No big deal. Good XHTML and usage of
stylesheets - that is fine enough. A total "change" of the backend is
unrealistic anyways.

Please see the skin API documentation online on typo3.org - there are
plenty of possibilities of making the backend look different!

> my point of view has not changed on architecture - interface, separate from
> core, separate from labels... :)

In real life, this is not flexible enough for me. Sorry.

- kasper