[Typo3-dev] ImageMagick V6

Michiel van Leening leening at saurus.nl
Tue Jun 8 21:15:20 CEST 2004

Hi Michael,

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 19:04, Michael Stucki wrote:
> Hi Michiel,
>
> >> [PHP-Imagick]
>
> > Sorry, but I have a few deadlines before my holidays, so this would be
> > hard. My guess is, it's as fast as ImageMagick commandline, excluded the
> > system call.
>
> Yeah, but it's still hard to extend TYPO3 for making it work with this
> extension. Is it worth it?

Don't know :-) Prolly not!

> > I know, *and* they change the parameters, so the code has to cope with
> > *that*. If you use a .so/.dll there's no more commandline order (if the
> > module plays nice)
>
> Bat option! If you can load an extension to PHP then you have superuser
> rights, and in that case it would (I think so) be much easier to install
> GraphicsMagick instead. They don't have these problems, and we could
> probably provide a statically linked binary for the users...

Yes, but what's the overhead for making so many system/exec calls for
the image processing? And what about all the temp images that have to be
created? Surely that must cause some overhead? (don't know how much,
haven't tested it).

I've used the module in at least one app and am happy with the .so way
of working (not necesarily with imagick due to bugs, but that's another
story). It keeps my code clean and i don't have to worry about paths
etc. If the module's there, it works the way i want. Period. If it's not
there, sorry, no go. :-))

--

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Michiel van Leening
 Saurus Internet - http://www.saurus.nl/ - info at saurus.nl
     Vestesingel 8, 9408 CA - Assen, The Netherlands
    tel: +31 (0)592.461.467 - fax: +31 (0)84.86.88.007

     Michiel van Leening - Internet Application Developer
 leening at saurus.nl - gsm: +31 (0)65.57.12.693 - ICQ#51566230
      Registered with the Linux Counter. ID #39463
This ae nighte, this ae nighte,
Everye nighte and alle,
Fire and sleet and candlelyte,
And Christe receive thy saule.