[Typo3-dev] Just another braindump ;)

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Sun Jun 6 18:09:11 CEST 2004

Hi *,

thank you all for your inspirations.

I answer this way to the mixed feedback over all the mails before.

In all our mind I think it is necessary to found something like a
foundation to organize such an event. The next question is, must it be
something like the german "eingetragener Verein", I think yes.
Not because I want an inefficient structure, but we have to organize
an event that costs a lot even if we could use the infrastructure of an
university for free (think about up to 100.000/150.000 € at least, I
know from other little events that have a bugdet of 500.000 € and are
LOCAL events). Also we must found an organisation form that is
"gemeinnützig" so it could be tax free.

The job of something like "Typo3 Foundation" has to be the presentation
and sponsoring of development work of the Typo3 project.

As some of you have also requested the admission should not be to high.
I haven't refer to the german Linuxtag quite innocently.
The Linuxtag has a perfect mixture between commercial and non-commercial
topics.

I think we do not need an admission of 600€ for normal users, that would
be absoluty against out interest, so we only say to visitors interesting
in Typo3: "keep away".

I think the max admission for normal users can be 15€, reducing the
price if you are a student, go to school or something similar.

But we also can offer Topics that are only visible for companies and
government because the people most should be interested in is this
target group.

An idea to the target place. There were many inspirations were such an
event could be placed in. I'm still be interesting in to organize it at
a german university because we need more than a little bit space.
One main conferencing room with up to 800/1200 seats, maybe two or three
other smaller conferencing rooms. And the main argument, it could reduce
our costs dramatically. It should be in the middle of germany so it is
the halfway for Denmark, Switzerland...
And as Thomas Murphy of the Typo3-Berlin right said, it must be in the
area of a TUG, but in my mind, only for the last work.
Many of the organizational work could also be done online, with phone
and some with a meeting all 4/8 weeks (for the work up to 8 weeks before
the conference).

A word to period.
YES it must be yearly, because if we want to keep in touch with the
community, each other eye-to-eye and also with potential sponsors we
have to see the conference as chance speak about the stage of the
development work and to get new inspirations.
This is only possible if this is a yearly stamp in our calendar ;)

A word to companies and the conference.
As I have suggested in my first mail, there should be space for the
companies to present themselve and ALSO for the TUGs that do many local
work for the community.

To help getting more informations and starting, I will contact the Free
Software Foundation Europe to get informations how the have formed their
~ Europe-Part.

A last word to a possible meeting this year and a first conference next
year.
I think we really must start latest in august this year. And forming
such a foundation can help speed up the development work really, so it
should have a high priority.

Thanks for your feedback,

greetings sven