[Typo3-dev] to kasper/TER owner: help for translators

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2004 at typo3.com
Thu Jul 22 16:16:44 CEST 2004

> Does this mean also that in multi-domain installation I can have
> different translations to separate domains ? Different XML files (local)
> to different domains. Reasoning: sometimes you can use same extension
> for a little different purposes.

Already possible through TypoScript for frontend purposes. Backend; no.

> Can translation be dynamic - extension which translates/converts labels
> of other extension ?

I think this is also possible already regardless of format. Look in
"Inside TYPO3" for details about locallang and how to override values.

> For multi-lingual sites almost any extension can be important. Who
> decides which is important and which isn't ?

Popularity generally.
We want translators to put their focus on extensions that are actually
useful and used of course.

> I see that the strength of Typo3 is just that translation load is
> divided to community and so anybody can benefit of that.
> Example: many sites I'm involved have 3+ languages. I've not been able
> to use some extensions due to missing translation of some needed
> language. Should there be some ranking/notification system to ask
> extension to be translated to certain language?

I don't think we need this. People can always request a translation if
they need it.

> > TYPO3.org will still offer the traditional translation framework. If
> > that will be outphased later is not decided, but currently I imagine
> > them to live side by side with locallang-XML used for "serious"
> > extensions.
> >

> Same as above; "serious" ?

See above.

> Personally I see also other problems:
> a) Extension developers don't always think how they write
> labels/expressions and how those can be translated. (depends also
> grammar in various languages. You can look Finnish grammar in English
> and Deutsch at address http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~pamakine/kieli/suomi/ ).

The "locallang-XML" format contains meta data for each label which means
that *potentially* each label can have a description that explains the
context so translation can be done right. In real life I assume that
most developers will never supply this context description of course
since it is a lot of work and requires you to conciously pick which
labels needs it. But it is a part of the "standard" and supported by the
translation tool.

> b) Problem is also that there is missing so much extension
> manuals/documentation from which you could get hint how to translate
> wordings written by developer. It's impossible to translator to install
> every (488) extension and see how it works.
> My opinion ; extension should not be in category 'stable' if there is no
> manual.

True, and that is why I will provide a "translation" server that
contains what we have agreed to be "serious" extensions - those that are
most critical to keep fully translated.

This will NOT prevent any other extensions actually be translated on
TYPO3.org.

> b) Developers don't update translations.
>
> c) Sometimes the default language has not been English !!!

See, this easily qualifies as "not serious"... :-)

> I also urge every translator to put some effort into the work. After You
> have translated everything once, it's not a big work to keep Typo3
> updated in our own language.

I think the new concept will help here. First of all it will be much
faster to do translation and you also get immediate feedback since as
soon as a label is translated you can browse the backend on hte
development server and see the translation in effect!

- kasper

--
- kasper

--------
Please notice NEW EMAIL ADDRESS for 2004!! (due to SPAM-contamination)

"kasper2004 at typo3.com"