[Typo3-dev] Typo3 Timezone settings.

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2004 at typo3.com
Thu Jul 22 16:07:57 CEST 2004

> I think the requirements for this feature are:
> - All datetime information should be stored in a "raw" state, with a well
> defined timezone that never changes.

OK, so if this is important to people they should make sure that their
server reports the time from "time()" as GMT for instance (or any other
well defined zone).
So effectively TYPO3 will always be working with this date internally.

> - There should be a consistent way for the core and all extensions convert
> this information to present on the pages.

Sounds like all we need is a stdWrap value that can compensate time
output with x timezones.

> I think a good solution is:
> - All dates and times should be saved in numeric format, whith a constant
> timezone (GMT or local time).
> - Using GMT would allow a Typo3 database to be moved to a server with
> another timezone, and still represent the same dates and times.
> - All date and time formatting for output, on the core and extensions,
> should be done through a unified core function or class.
> - That function would first convert the numerical datetime first to a
> desired time zone, defined on a site constant with the possibility to be
> overriden by a FE user field.
> - Then that function would convert the adjustes datetime to a string, a
> formatting specified in a site constant, also with the possibility to be
> overriden by a FE user field.

SOunds right, and sounds like something I don't have "time" to look at
now - regardless of timezone...

- kasper