[Typo3-dev] thougts of TYPO3 imagefunction and short MD5 Hash

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2004 at typo3.com
Wed Jul 21 12:13:22 CEST 2004

In addition; Lets say we stored images in the database. For each media
field we would either need to store the files in a serialized array
which means that we had to load the full array each time. Otherwise it
had to be a list of references to another table which is more code to
manage the thing. And the replication deal is off since having a bunch
of references to records holding ONLY the image as a blob OR references
to files is the same.
Finally, most MySQL environments are set up to allow only 2MB large
queries so files could not be larger than that.

I also find that the Zend test does not take into account what the speed
is if there are 10000 images stored in the table compared to 10000 files
in a folder; which one situation is served faster? (Actually 10000 files
in folders ARE slow to access/write!).

At this point we haven't even discussed the additional overhead of
having '... src="serve_image.php?image=...."'; that will load PHP more,
it will be more "cryptic" HTML code (taking more space probably) and
generally raise the chance of more support questions and bugs to fix in
the system.

- kasper