[Typo3-dev] thougts of TYPO3 imagefunction and short MD5 Hash

Leendert Brouwer [Netcreators] leendert at netcreators.nl
Wed Jul 21 11:40:23 CEST 2004

> There is another article comparing the storage of files in a database vs.
> storing files on the file system [1].
>
> [1]:http://www.zend.com/zend/trick/tricks-sept-2001.php

The primary (and only, as far as I can see) advantage mentioned in this
article is that you can seperate the hardware for the database and the
webserver. I don't see what storing images in the database has to do with
that. Sure, you can apply load balancing, thereby having a big dual xeon
database server and X webservers, but then still, it doesn't matter. The
webservers are replicated as well, so the images will always be able to
reference to. Another solution would be to store certain part of the images
on different "dedicated" servers. In very heavy, specific situations such a
hardware decision could be made. So, to me the mentioned article from Zend
does not hold much value. The disadvantages of storing in the DB are much
too large imho.