[Typo3-dev] thougts of TYPO3 imagefunction and short MD5 Hash

Daniel Pötzinger operation-lan at gmx.de
Tue Jul 20 21:08:44 CEST 2004

Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:

>>If you trust I could work out a solution with collision management - or
>>is this too complex?
>

> Too complex compared to the gain. Raising the probability is really OK.
> Eventually a full MD5 hash is so close to impossible to collide that it
> will never happen.
>
> The reason for working with short md5 hashes for the filenames is simply
> to save characters in HTML. Rather than 32 chars long filenames you have
> 10 char long filenames.
>
> I can't remember how this is done, but if the function
> t3lib_div::shortmd5 is used we should not change the default value but
> rather add a parameter to manually set the output length, then of course
> send another length (configurable alternative) for the filenames
> generation where you have the problem.
>

> - kasper

OK as you say, I think it will be OK. (If you like I could add the
parameter and send it to you or someone with cvs writeacces in cvs?)

Beside: I just think of using blob fields for media storage. I will not
say that it is better, but I would like to hear your oppinion, why using
the temp folder and no database for "chaching" the images. Thanks.