[Typo3-dev] thougts of TYPO3 imagefunction and short MD5 Hash

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2004 at typo3.com
Tue Jul 20 16:08:50 CEST 2004

> If you trust I could work out a solution with collision management - or
> is this too complex?

Too complex compared to the gain. Raising the probability is really OK.
Eventually a full MD5 hash is so close to impossible to collide that it
will never happen.

The reason for working with short md5 hashes for the filenames is simply
to save characters in HTML. Rather than 32 chars long filenames you have
10 char long filenames.

I can't remember how this is done, but if the function
t3lib_div::shortmd5 is used we should not change the default value but
rather add a parameter to manually set the output length, then of course
send another length (configurable alternative) for the filenames
generation where you have the problem.

- kasper