[Typo3-dev] Status on extension reviews...?

Robert Lemke rl at robertlemke.de
Mon Jul 19 09:44:59 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 09:20, Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Is there any person in the community who we all trust to take over the
> maintenance of the software which I originally wrote (some 6000
> codelines for TER and documentation repository)? We will all depend on
> its stability. We will also have to trust that this person stays with
> the job for a long time so we don't have to engage a new one during
> this. And how can we make sure that this person does not say "Sorry, but
> business is tough at the moment, I don't have time for volunteer work
> right now".
>
> I didn't mean this sarcasticly, I'm just asking if there is any real
> solution to this reality? I would LOVE to get rid of TYPO3.org from my
> todo list. But we can not hand this over to any random individual as you
> can see!

I don't think that it makes sense to give your job to someoneelse at the
moment. But I see a solution for it in the long run: in my opinion
managing and also hosting typo3.org should be done by a TYPO3 company /
foundation / organisation (see other thread).

There should be two people being member of that organisation who are
familar enough with TER and such to securely maintain it. Their work
would be (partly) sponsored by TYPO3. So, if someone urgently needs a
feature or complains about the downtime of typo3.org, he can easily
forward some sponsoring to the TYPO3 organisation and make it happen
faster.

But back to the extension reviewing process: You know about the new
ideas about releasing TYPO3 (with "official" extensions etc.). At the
time when we will put this plans into reality, I will also resume my
work on the reviews and maybe organize a review-workshop or something
similar. The extensions which are considered to be important parts of
TYPO3 require a review.

--
robert

"They placed me on this earth without a manual.
 And I dare to say, I’m doing just fine without ;)"