[Typo3-dev] Favorite PHP editor/IDE?

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at web.de
Mon Jul 12 17:05:05 CEST 2004

> I use XEmacs for both Windows and Linux.
> Why?
> - automatic indentation and fontifying
> - folding
> - CVS-Integration
> - FASTEST editor to use once you know the keyboard-shortcuts (only a few
> are necessary for basic editing).
> - Jumping between buffers, searching, search/replace... everything
> without touching the mouse in no time! And: no editor is as extendable
> as Emacs. If you like you can easily integrate PHP Debugging, for
> instance. There are modes for almost every programming-language
> available....

I like emacsen especially for their automatic indentation. A feature I miss
in nearly every other editor as soon as I leave emacs for a try. And soon I
am back again.

But learning is not so easy for non english people, even if you have
already some experience, as most things have other names than usual and
help is always some distance away.

I needed weeks only to discover how to higlight text. (Unfortunally I
didn't start with xemacs.) Giving the xemacs frames other colors than the
trist dark grey is another adventure. Always suffering by the aspect of
that ugly buttons. Why does nobody replace them with pretty ones?

Under windows I didn't manage to open files with emacs by clicking them in
the explorer. Something that is easy to configure for most other programms.

As mighty as emacs is, I think it would really need some fundamental
facelifting to fit todays user habits and expectations.

Elmar