[Typo3-dev] Favorite PHP editor/IDE?

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Mon Jul 12 17:22:42 CEST 2004

Hi,

Sacha Vorbeck schrieb am 12.07.2004 um 10:50 Uhr CEST

> Hi,
>
> > How? Do you just mean the editor-features like syntax-checking, etc.
> > or something else?
>
> the ability to see all the values of variables at any step of the
> script, to follow the process of a page rendering step by step through
>
> all files/classes that are involved. Setting break points etc.. This
> was a whole new experience for me as I used to work with echo/debug
> output to find errors. That was like looking for the needle in a
> haystack sometimes.

plus it has the whole api available (like doxygen, but within the IDE)
with popup and code-completion.

> > I also think Zend is a great editor, but what about the speed of the
> >
> > IDE?
>
> sorry, I only saw Peters demonstration on his notebook running Debian
> Linux. The app speed seemed to be good but I don`t know what hardware
> he was using.
>
> Peter, can you comment this?

debian testing, ~ 1,8 Ghz Athlon with 512 MB. I haven't had any
performance problems with ZEND IDE at least for two years now!
Right now ZEND Studio 3.5 is out and features a complete GUI-rewrite so
performance needs to be evaluated again. @Kasper: Zend Studio 3.5
allows customs highlighting for every file-type. ;)

The real hardcore developers that speak php while sleeping might not
need an IDE. To me using the IDE speeded things up very much plus give
me a great opportunity to "reverse engineer" or understand code cause I
can step by step go through the code at runtime(debugging). ZEND has so
far been the only stable and comfortable one I found.

Have fun,
Peter
--
Peter Niederlag