[Typo3-dev] extending a table with a new version

Zach Davis zach at crito.org
Wed Jul 7 03:25:21 CEST 2004

Elmar Hinz wrote:
> Hello advanced extension programmers,
>
> I wan't to add some new fields to a table of an extension. I find
> instructions how to extend an extension with another extension. But I
> wan't simply add some new fields to a table, without creating an
> additional extension. Simply by a version step.
>
> So what is the problem? Tables are generated with a CREATE TABLE query
> in ext_tables.sql. If somebody has already the old version installed he
> would rather need an ALTER TABLE query.
>
> Are there some official guidelines how to manage this situation?
> Do I have to deliver a special update script.
> Can it be started automatically if an older version is discovered?
>
> Regards
>
> Elmar

I've done this before with my extensions. If I remember correctly, the
extension manager will see the missing fields and generate alter table
queries from the create table statements in tables.sql -- that is, I've
never had to do anything special when I've added a field to tables in a
new version of an extension.

Zach