[Typo3-dev] extending a table with a new version

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at web.de
Tue Jul 6 23:10:16 CEST 2004

Hello advanced extension programmers,

I wan't to add some new fields to a table of an extension. I find
instructions how to extend an extension with another extension. But I wan't
simply add some new fields to a table, without creating an additional
extension. Simply by a version step.

So what is the problem? Tables are generated with a CREATE TABLE query in
ext_tables.sql. If somebody has already the old version installed he would
rather need an ALTER TABLE query.

Are there some official guidelines how to manage this situation?
Do I have to deliver a special update script.
Can it be started automatically if an older version is discovered?

Regards

Elmar