[Typo3-dev] controlling BE pagetree from extensions

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Sat Jul 3 01:04:02 CEST 2004

Some classes in the backend has no object instance because we wanted
them to be light weight. This is one of them  (like t3lib_div is
another).

So, yes, currently you cannot override it. I have no plans about
allowing that.

Example; the "t3lib_db" class was originally in my design another of
these classes where I wanted to just collect functions that could be
called with "t3lib_db::sql_fetch_assoc()" for instance. Eventually I
decided to make a global instance of the class main so that a DBAL
extension could be written easily extending the parent class. But the
downside is that the function call above is now
"$GLOBALS['TYPO3_DB']->sql_fetch_assoc()" which is much more ugly! In
terms of performance I actually don't know how great the effect is of
no-instance and instance calls... Anyone?

- kasper