[Typo3-dev] Colliding extensions

Martin Poelstra martin at beryllium.net
Fri Jan 16 11:48:38 CET 2004

Hi Michael,

> The only way to do it is to create a way that extensions can be loaded
> independently and without ambiguity.

Do you think my second solution wouldn't be an option ('wait' for a new
API every time)? If so, why? Or are you giving the one possible
implementation for my first solution (the automatic stacking of
classes)?

> Letting the administrator of the
> site choose wich modules that should override which will lead to a lot
> of problems, since the admins wont nessecarily know the internals of the
> modules thay want to load and because conflicts may be impossible to
> resolve without loosing acces to methods that are needed for the system
> to work.

I agree. Furthermore, I can imagine that the stacking of some functions
has to be on function-level, not on class-level. That is, every function
in a class must be able to control the position of parent::foo():
before, in, or after the new code.

> > Let's take a look at my RealURL-extension (for speakingURIs):
[snip]

> Otherwise one could merge it with the main distribution for now. And
> then split it off when a more generic module loader is in place.

Well, I don't think that's a good idea, because I then need proper
rights to access my code in the CVS, or I have to constantly hand in
patches of new versions to the core-team.
Maybe this could be done for this special occasion, but it's not a
structural solution.
Plus: it still won't work with all current versions of Typo then, you
still have to upgrade to the main-distro where it is included. I could
as well wait for an API to appear some day and continue coding on the
XCLASS-version.

> The module you are working on should be able to work if it was loaded
> with the namespace separation method, right?

Sure, I think.

Grtz,
Martin