[Typo3-dev] Speaking URIs

Martin Poelstra martin at beryllium.net
Thu Jan 15 16:39:17 CET 2004

Hi all,

You are just a little bit too early with your questions! :)
I'm developing an extension for speaking URLs already. It currently
supports the following features:

- URLS are cached, so translating between URLs and IDs is very fast

- Pagetitles can contain spaces and characters like /.,&@ etc, the URL
will still be nice

- URLS are generated as nice-looking lowercase paths

- If a page is renamed, the old URL can still be used (see expireDays in
the Reference), so if the page was indexed by e.g. Google, it can still
be found

- It can handle different frames (or other pagetypes)

- URLs are multilingual: if you're browsing in Dutch, you'll see Dutch
URLs

- Once configured the systems works fully automatic, creating new and
updating existing URLs

- You can easily see where shortcuts are pointing to, as the 'target'
URL is generated, instead of the URL to the shortcut itself

I'm still working on a few things though: the extension didn't support a
typo3-installation other than in the document-root (I only have to test
that a little bit, the rest is finished). Furthermore, multiple domains
don't work yet, though some of the code for it has already been written,
I still have to tie the last ends together.

Currently I'm studying for an exam on Monday so I don't have time to
finish it right now, but I planned to release the extension by the end
of next week, including documentation.

An somewhat older version of my extension is already in use at e.g.
http://aquamarijn.org, with the multi-language feature disabled (the
site is only available in Dutch).

Please be patient for another week! ;)

Grtz,
Martin

P.S. I would really love to see this extension integrated in the
Typo-core. Some issues could be solved much more elegantly that way
(e.g. the index.html-problem could be eliminated).